Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Stiff Flats

Starting out, I used an all same wheel size set up: 4 80mm wheels, all touching the ground.

I next tried full rockers: 76-80-80-76

The difference is pretty dramatic. Now, I'm not the most fit person, but on flat 80mm, my top speed is around 16-17 mph on level terrain. With full rockers, that drops to about 15mph, tops. And I can go a little faster, but by 15mph my boot shudders terribly whenever I lean forward to push.

It's only a 1mph drop for a huge boost in control, maneuverability, and acceleration. My stride is much more natural and free on full rockers. On flat wheels I feel like my heel and toe have some kind of pickaxe tip digging into the ground every time I lift my feet to stride.

I have yet to try front rockers, but I've grown fond of controlling my turns on my heels, so I want to try back rockers for the hell of it. Considering my top speed on full flats is only 17mph, I don't think front rockers will be worth the loss of control, but it may be worth the increased stability during street skates.

Either way, on flat wheels it takes me twice as long to sprint up to full speed as it does on full rockers.

I've ordered SEBA prerockered frames. I'm a little disappointed to find that the difference is only 2mm between outer and inner wheels, but it's something I haven't tried yet, and it means I only need to order 80mm wheels from now on.

No comments:

Post a Comment